image.jpeg

Overview

The Cabin in the Pines, commonly known among students at Berry College as the Kissing Cabin, is an old school building that was restored in order to preserve its historical significance. It is one of the oldest buildings on the school's campus. Martha Berry named the cabin as a "tenant house" for a family who worked for her father in the 1870's.

History

The log cabin is located in the field next to Hermann Hall. The field was acquired around 1900 from the Gammons, a family native to the Rome area. The cabin was built on O'Bryan Gap Road just north of Rome, Georgia and is assumed to have been built in the 1890's. The only known information on this is from word of mouth by Dr. S. H. Cook and others at Berry. In 1912, Miss Newton, a teacher for Berry College, began using it as a classroom and a Sunday school room. This little school was used for children in the community, but in the mid 1920's, as more children began appearing on campus, a new schoolroom was provided by adding on to the Roosevelt Cabin. Later, the school moved to the science building on Log Cabin School Campus. Eventually, it was moved to Possum Trot before it was finally moved to a county school system. In the 1970's, the Daughters of Berry fought for its restoration and preservation and began to use it as a place to make ceramics and other accessories. As an argument for its restoration, Joyce Carper was quoted saying that the cabin, "represents early America and a type of art no longer practiced. It is an example of the early American character and the ambition to build a better life," Joyce Carper, October 15th 1974. The Daughters of Berry fought for its preservation because of the historical significance to not only Berry College, but also Rome, Georgia.

Description of the Cabin

The cabin is a one-story building with a peak roof made of wood shingles. It has one chimney made of stick and mud, along with two windows. It is in fair condition according to Historic Preservation Structures Report. The one-room log cabin was similar to the housing in which many of the farm families in the area lived. The cabin was originally named for its location in the midst of pine trees but as time has gone on, the small building has become a cabin in the middle of a somewhat empty field in which deer are known to stay.

Restoration

The cabin was locked away and was not used for many years. Around 1986, the Berry College Student Government Association decided to restore the cabin as its Mountain Day project. Students, faculty, and staff volunteered to spend several of their weekends during that fall restoring the interior of the cabin. Berry College was the first "approved Daughters of the American Revolution school" in 1904. This approval has led to individual and national chapter contributions to scholarships on campus as well as its beautification and preservation. The Georgia State Society, Daughters of the American Revolution, undertook major structural restoration in 1986 with funding assistance. "In the Old Testament, we are exhorted to honor the ancient landmarks, and we do that at Berry. This cabin was a landmark long before Berry began. " This was said by Dr. Shatto when discussing the restoration of the cabin. Although the cabin has been unused for many years, the preservation and restoration of this cabin were not in vein. It remains a beloved landmark on the Berry campus.

Works Cited

Berry College Press Release. 14 July 1988. Cabin in the Pines Dedication. Print. VF# 980806-18 Berry College Archives Vertical File-Campus Buildings and Landmarks-Cabin in the Pines, Berry College Archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.

“Berry Renews Old Ties at Cabin in the Pines.” Berry Quarterly Summer 1998: 5. Print.

Berry Schools News Volume XII. 18 Feb 1921. Print. VF# 19980804-12 Berry College Archives Vertical File-Campus Buildings and Landmarks-Cabin in the Pines, Berry College Archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.

Henry, Inez. “Echoes of Heritage.” Campus Carrier. 28 Jan. 1977: 6. Print.

Historic Preservation Section Department of Natural Resources Structural and Site Survey Form. Print. VF# 980804-11 Berry College Archives Vertical File-Campus Buildings and Landmarks-Cabin in the Pines, Berry College Archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.