Mission Statement

“Our mission is to provide a warm, family environment that fosters self-esteem and success, and a place where a love for learning can flourish in a creative multi-aged classroom” (Berry College).

Overview In 1978, the Appalachian Regional Commission funded an experimental day care program in cooperation with Berry College. They called it the Berry College Child Development Center and the day care was held in both Faith Cottage and Atlanta Hall, two buildings on campus with rich history. It began with eight students attending the center two consecutive days per week. The staff comprised of nine people, all of whom were under the direction of Gertrude Enbree, including one Berry student. Gertrude worked with the staff to engage the children in many activities that would help them grow during the time that they were at the daycare. These activities helped improve motor and language skills, social behavior, self-help, and intelligence. Thanks to the funds provided by the Appalachian Regional Commission, Berry College “hoped [for the Child Development Center] to be used as a laboratory for the Education and Psychology department.” Today, that hope has been accomplished. The Child Development Center is considered a private school open to the public for children ages two to five. It serves as a lab for the Berry College Charter School of Education and Human Sciences.

The Cottages Before

Faith Cottage

Located on log cabin campus, Faith Cottage was built in 1910. It was the final home for the girls of Faith Cottage, a foster home started by Martha Berry in 1916. However, the foster home was not located in Faith Cottage until after 1923. After the girls grew up the foster home was no longer needed, so Faith Cottage became housing for faculty and staff. In 1978, when the CDC began, Faith Cottage was renovated to be used as classrooms for the children.

Atlanta Hall

In 1910, Atlanta Hall was built with support from the Martha Berry Circle of Atlanta, headed by Mrs. Frank Inman. Its first purpose was a dining hall, which was located on the first floor and dormitory rooms for girls, located on the second floor. Atlanta Hall was where Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ford were entertained on their first visit. The dining hall was moved to Ford Dining Hall, so Atlanta Hall became a cannery. In 1960, the building was remodeled to a student center. A Rome architect, Captain John Gibbs, designed all major buildings during Berry’s early days, including the modernized layout of Atlanta Hall.


Because the Child Development Center is located on campus, it provides a safe and supportive environment for children to thrive; stimulating, enriching activities promote cognitive, physical, and social-emotional growth. Ann Tankersley has served as the Center’s director since January 2003. In her own words, "The CDC is the place where parents can be assured of the very best beginning for the education of their children, not only the child's preschool experience, but setting the foundation for years of learning. There cannot possibly be a more beautiful setting, and within the physical surrounding is a preschool campus where the staff is dedicated to not only the education of young children, but to nurturing those children as they grow in a family atmosphere. The strengths of our program include supportive parents, the assistance of our student workers, and the resources we enjoy as a laboratory school within the Charter School of Education and Human Sciences" (Berry College).


Before the summer of 2012, the Child Development Center had a third cottage known as Sunshine Cottage. It was turned into student housing before the fall semester, because the CDC could not fit their previous four classes into three classrooms, so Faith Cottage was renovated into two classrooms called Faith and Hope. Now, there are four classrooms, two in each cottage.

Works Cited

Allaire, Kip. "Development Center Open House." Campus Carrier 17 February. 1978: 01. Print, Berry College archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.

Berry College. “Child Development Center.” Berry College, Web. 14 November 2012.

Berry Trails. 3rd ed. Mount Berry: Berry College, 2001. Print, Berry College Archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.

Bertrand, John R. "Opinion Page." Campus Carrier 28 January. 1977: 02. Print, Berry College Archives, Memorial Library, Berry College.

Child Development Center. Digital image. Berry College, n.d. Web. 6 Dec. 2012.